By now you understand why medication management is particularly important for aging adults. If you take multiple medications on a regular schedule, follow the helpful tips provided below by NIH Senior Health to assist you in managing your prescriptions.
NEW – ScriptSave® WellRx Prescription Discount Card
Today’s prescription drug prices can be staggering. We get it! With ScriptSave® WellRx it’s easy to search for the lowest price for your medication at more than 65,000 pharmacies nationwide. Just show your discount card or use the app at the pharmacy of your choice and start saving on your medications. Discounts on brand or generic prescriptions. Savings average 60% and, in some cases, can be 80% or more!* Get started today!
9 Tips for Managing Your Medications
- Keep a checklist of the medications you currently take including the name, time you take them, how long you have taken them, and then continue to add to the list if and when new prescriptions are added. You can also you the free Caring Village app to store your medications.
- Review your medicinal record when you meet with your doctor. Keep a detailed list of the medicines you use and bring your checklist as a reference.
- Ask your pharmacist to provide your medicine in large, easy-to open containers with large-print labels. Always keep your medicine in the original container unless using a daily pill box that allows you to put the appropriate pills in each day. Don’t take a pill if you are not confident it is in the right pill bottle. Also, make sure the pill bottles are properly labeled and, if necessary, color code or number them.
- To determine how a medication should be stored, consult with your doctor on location, temperature, and other requirements for medication storage.
- Don’t stop taking a prescription drug unless your doctor says it’s okay. Always continue through the prescription even if you are feeling better. Consult with your doctor before making any changes in your medication.
- Get prescriptions refilled early enough so you won’t run out of medicines. Keep on top of your refill dates and expirations.
- Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children and away from pets. Always keep your medication in a secure place that both children and pets cannot reach or access.
- Purchase a medication management tool. There are many medication management tools on the market today such as pill dispensers, automatic reminders, and electronic medicine caps.
- Download a Medication Management Mobile App. Keep track of your medication, scheduling, and other specific needs via mobile apps on your phone or tablet.
Don’t just follow one of the tips above but explore all of them. Managing your medications properly can mean the difference of time, health, and overall well-being. Always ask questions when you are unsure about your medication and- most importantly -keep track of what you are taking daily. This will aide in your recovery and keep you on target.
Hero Medication Dispenser, Manager, and Pill Organizer
Hero sorts and dispenses doses at the push of a button with audible and visual reminders to help keep your loved on on track, and an optional PIN password that keeps medications safe until it’s time to take them. The app reminds you or your caregiver if you need a helping hand. You will also get an alert if you’re low on pills. The optional Hero Fill service delivers medication directly to your door to help keep you from running out of prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and supplements and includes free delivery. Your Hero membership gives you peace of mind with an automatic pill dispenser that makes it simple and easy for your loved ones to take the right medication at the right time, every time. Free Shipping. Free Returns. 30-day Free Trial.
* Average and up to savings percentages are based on all discounted prescriptions that were run through the WellRx program in 2018. Discount percentages represent savings provided off of pharmacies’ retail prices for consumers who do not have a discount program and pay cash. For more info visit www.wellrx.com.