The holidays provide a great opportunity for all of us to take some time off to spend with our families. It’s also a great opportunity to spend quality time with older loved ones who we might not get to see very often. While they may not be able to participate in every activity, here are some great suggestions of things you can do to help include them in the fun this upcoming holiday season.
Great Holiday Activities for Those of All Ages
- Read favorite holiday stories aloud: Ask them what their favorite holiday book is and read it together. Include the whole family!
- Share Memories: Get them talking about their favorite holiday memories and encourage others to join in.
- Play games: Classic card or board games are fun activities for the whole family.
- Get Crafty: Create ornaments, arrange floral centerpieces, or build gingerbread houses.
- Cooking and Baking: Make holiday cookies or prepare other holiday meals together.
- Make a recipe book: Share recipes old and new that can be passed on to future generations.
- Listen to music: Holiday music can brighten any occasion, whether just listening in the home or getting out and attending a local, seasonal concert.
- Give back: join in on community activities such as a toy or food drive to get in the holiday spirit of helping others.
- Go for a Walk: Take a stroll around the neighborhood, a local mall, or nearby shopping center.
- Watch movies together: These movies could be holiday classics or home movies.
In planning these activities, make sure to be cognizant of their needs and don’t ask them to do more than they physically or mentally are able to do. Start new and continue old traditions but most importantly- just get together and have fun!