Worried about getting sick this winter? The good news is there are plenty of easy ways to keep you and your loved ones healthy. Besides getting a flu shot, here are 11 tips for keeping yourself healthy during cold and flu season.
11 Easy Ways to Keep You and Your Loved Ones Healthy
- Keep your hands clean. Wash them often, especially after you cough, sneeze, and/or have been near anyone that is sick. Don’t forget to wash them before you eat.
- Use self-control and avoid touching your nose, mouth, or eyes throughout the day
- Try to avoid using the same cups, pens, or any other device, tools, or utensils that someone else used during the winter season to prevent the spread of germs.
- Keep hand sanitizer on you at all times – that way you keep your hands germ-free if there isn’t a sink nearby
- Get regular (daily if possible) exercise to keep your immune system strong.
- Rest is important. Get plenty of sleep so you don’t get worn down.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water.
- Reduce the stress you can control. Feeling better will help keep you healthy.
- If needed, use a humidifier at home (it can help prevent the cold virus from spreading).
- Add more protein to your diet (it helps the body produce immune cells).
- Add more antioxidant-rich foods in your diet (i.e. whole grain cereal, walnuts, etc.).
So what should you do if you get sick? Well, if you are sick, and you can, avoid contact with those with serious health conditions and stay home from work. Your co-workers will thank you. You should also use tissues for coughs and sneezes and dispose of them immediately and appropriately. If you continue to feel sick or something just doesn’t feel right, then see your doctor.
Doing one or all 11 of the keep-healthy tips listed above will leave you better off. Share this with your family and loved ones so they can protect themselves too.
Have any suggestions of your own? We are all ears! Share your ideas with us.